PF Chang’s chicken lettuce wraps are served in a bowl with the tasty chicken filling and lettuce leaves to fill. They’re one of PF Chang’s most popular items for a good reason! They’re sweet, full of texture from the crunchy water chestnuts, and fun to prepare and eat. This article will explore the best PF Chang’s chicken lettuce wraps copycat recipe. Check it out below!
- One tablespoon of olive oil
- One tablespoon of sesame oil
- One pound of ground chicken
- One medium/large sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, diced small
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- Two tablespoons of low-sodium soy sauce
- One tablespoon of rice wine vinegar
- One tablespoon of Asian chili garlic sauce
- Three cloves of garlic, finely minced or pressed
- One teaspoon ground ginger or two teaspoons freshly grated ginger, or to taste
- One 8-ounce can of water chestnut, drained and diced small
- One to three green onions, sliced into thin rounds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt,
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- Butter lettuce leaves, for serving
Directions for Chicken Filling
Preparing these PF Chang’s Chicken Lettuce Wraps imitations is really simple! The chicken filling takes less than 20 minutes to prepare and only requires one pan for cleanup. Follow the instructions below.
Step 1: Cook the Chicken
- Heat a large frying pan with oil.
- Cook and crush the ground chicken.
- Add chopped onion and cook until soft and transparent.
Step 2: Make the Sauce
In a small bowl, mix the sauce ingredients (hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar). Put on the chicken and add the ginger. Cook for 2 minutes until fragrant.
Step 3: Finish Filling
- Stir in water chestnuts and green onions to fill the chicken.
- Cook for another 2 minutes and season with salt and pepper.
- You’re done!
Directions for Lettuce Wraps and Dipping Sauce
Now it’s time to put these pieces together into lettuce wraps! The only meaningful change you may make to this recipe is to substitute butter lettuce for iceberg lettuce. Because it’s less expensive, restaurants prefer icebergs. Butter lettuce leaves are mild and delicate; the iceberg adds that distinctive CRUNCH. Romaine hearts or red leaf lettuce hearts are other options for lettuce.
The only last touch you’ll need for these wraps is a delicious dipping sauce! Preparing this sauce is very quick:
- Combine a touch of soy sauce, rice vinegar, chili garlic sauce (I used Sambal Oelek), Chinese-style hot mustard, oyster sauce, and sesame oil.
- If purchasing the hot mustard is too expensive for you, feel free to substitute it with an extra measure of chili garlic sauce.
- Taste the mixture and make any adjustments as needed!
Once you’ve chosen your lettuce and made your sauce, make sure your lettuce leaves are clean. Fill a lettuce leaf with a handful of fried rice noodles, and then top it with plenty of chicken and mushroom filling. Garnish with fresh green onions and drizzle with your sauce before eating!
The best PF Chang’s chicken lettuce wraps copycat recipe is definitely the one you just read. It can be carefully created with all the flavors and ingredients that make PF Chang’s dish so delicious. We hope you enjoy the recipe. With a little experimentation, you can come up with a version that tastes even better than the original. So get cooking!
Want to have a look at the rest of PF Chang’s menu? We have it at Restaurant Meal Prices here!